Key Components of the Final Rule
- Maximum weight: 55 pounds.
- Maximum altitude: 400 feet above ground level (but may operate over a structure if it remains within 400 feet of the structure and does not operate over 400 feet above the structure).
- Maximum speed: 87 knots/100 mph.
- Minimum age: 16.
- Operations may only be conducted during daytime.
- Operations may only be conducted within the visual line of sight.
- Operations over people permitted only over those participating in the operation.
- Transportation of property for compensation or hire permitted, as long as the total weight is no more than 55 pounds and the operation is conducted within a state.
- Part 61 pilot certificate holders can take an online training course; others will take an aeronautical knowledge test at a designated FAA center.
- Waiver provisions: Operations from moving vehicle, visual line of sight, operations near aircraft, operations near people, operating limitations for altitude and ground speed, minimum visibility, minimum distance from clouds, daylight operations, visual observer operations of multiple UAS.